Jennifer Love Hewitt
- Renée Humprey, Mallrats, 1995. Renée reprised Tricia in a later movie by New Jersey’s askew auteur Kevin Smith: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, 2001.
- Claire Danes, Romeo + Juliet, 1996. Although born in the same year as Claire, 1979, JLH was not old or “modern enough” for Baz Luhrman. Sarah Michelle Gellar also lost and both triples later co-starred in...
- Sarah Michel Gellar, I Know What You Did Last Summer, 1997. JLH auditioned for Helen - and was given Julie. V ice-versa for SMG.
- Dominique Swain, Lolita, 1997. “I would just love once to be called sexy. Just because it would make me something other than cute.”
- Kate Beckinsale, Brokendown Palace, 1998. So Kate’s name went on the arrest warrant next to that of Claire Danes in this Midnight Express in Thailand. as two teenage girls are arrested for smuggling drugs ; that is to say, merely, stupidly,having some in their baggage.
- Lena Headey, Gossip, 1999. Change of Cathy among the college students investigating gossip – from JLH and Maggie Gyllenhaal to Headey.
- Rose McGowan, Charmed, TV, 2001-2006. After auditions by the many, exec producer Aaron Spelling decided that Shannen Doherty’s replacement would be Rose as Phoebe, Piper and Pru’s half-sister (long lost, of course) Paige. And not the Party of Five, 1990-95 star.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar, Scooby Doo, 2001. JHL was offered Daphne on February 10, 2000. However, director Raja Gosnell wanted a real couple as Daphne and Fred – like SMG and Freddie Prinze Jr. She had to talk him into it.
- Denise Richards, Valentine, 2001. When the then-Love Hurts project was being developed by producer Dylan Sellers, the lead ladies were JLH and Tara Reid as Paige and Dorothy. Warner Bros changed all of that!
- Jennifer Lopez, The Wedding Planner, 2001. One Jennifer for another. The first plan was JHL as the titular planner falling for Brenda Fraser as the groom - before he became, Matthew McConaughey.
- Naomi Watts, The Ring, 2001. Kate Beckinsale, Jennifer Connelly, and Gwyneth Paltrow - good screamers all - were also seen for Rachel (ex- Reiko), heroine of the Hollywood re-make of Hideo Nakata’s gigantic Japanese 1998 horror hit.
- Anne Hathaway, The Princess Diaries, 2001. Among 22 youngstars (Jessica Alba to Reese Witherspoon) rejecting the awkward San Francisco teenager being groomed (by Julie Andrews!) to inherit the Genovia throne - after director Garry Marshall’s (rather surprising) first choice of Juliette Lewis quit. This was Hathaway’s movie debut.
- Piper Perabo, The I Inside, 2003. JLH would have been wed to amnesiac Stephen Dorff until the cast changed and Piper had the struggle with Ryan Phillippe as the man who died for two minutes... and awakes with no memory of the past two years...
- Kate Bosworth, Superman Returns, 2005.
- Jodie Foster, Inside Man, 2005. Had to reject Spike Lee’s offer due to her Ghost Whisperer TV schedule.As Chicago critic Roger Ebert suggested, she didn’t miss much. “Who or what is Madeleine White? I've seen the movie, and I don't know. She is never convincingly explained, and what she does is not well-defined. She's one of those characters who is all buildup and no delivery” in a thriller “that’s curiously reluctant to get to the payoff.”
- Jessica Alba, Good Luck Chuck, 2007. Her TV glory prevented her sharing ex-stand-up Dane Cook’s latest comedy trifle.
- Agnes Bruckner, Blood and Chocolate, 2007. JHL was first choice for Vivian - a teenage werewolf. Now is that a compliment?
- Anne Hathaway, Get Smart, 2008. The Ghost Whisperer star was up for the first cinema appearance of Maxwell Smart or Agent 86’s espionage partner, Agent 99.... made memorable on TV in 1995 by Barbara Feldon. Before it went... Hathaway.
- Kelli Giddish, Law Order: SVU, TV, 2011-2012. With Christopher Meloni quitting and multi-Emmy award-winning Mariska Hargitay reducing her schedule, new blood was required for the 13th season of Dick Wolf’s cop-art. An obvious fan of Ghost Whisperer, 2005-10, creator-producer Wolf first thought of JHL (a 2010 SVU guest) - and her co-star David Conrad... before signing the highlight of the short-lived Chase series and ex-Cold Case cop Danny Pino.