- Kate Winslet, Titanic, 1996.
- Winona Ryder, Alien: Resurrection, 1996. "I’ll do it! I’ll do it ! I don’t even care if I die in the first scene." Ryder on wanting to be Annalee Call, working with her idol, Sigourney Weaver - and boasting about being in an Alien movie to her younger siblings.
- Sharon Stone, The Muse, 1999. Albert Brooks was delighted with La Jolie as his (literal) muse. However, Scott Greenstein, co-chief of “the new Miramax,” October Films, chargedaround like his oldMiramax boss andleft noStone unturned.
- Helena Bonham Carter, Fight Club, 1999. Also considered to beopposite Brad Pitt: Courtney Love, Winona Ryder, Reese Witherspoon. Pitt and Jolie - Oscar-winner Jon Voight’s Oscar-winning daughter - were to meet, mate and start a family in the next century.
- Carrie-Anne Moss, Memento, 1999. Director Christopher Nolan got stuck in the J pages when trying to locate the best Natalie: Jolie, Famke Janssen, Ashley Judd.He then whetted his thumb and flicked to M...
- Lucy Liu, Charlie's Angels, 2000. Columbia's chairperson of the hour, Amy Pascal, called her "a female James Dean for our time." And promptly blew it by begging her to join the summer frolic. "I didn't see the TV series and I don't get dressed up." With an Oscar under her belt, she became a solo angel: Tomb Raider Lara Croft.
- Jodie Foster, Panic Room, 2001. After 18 days, Kidman had to leave the titular space due to a knee injury. Jolie was run up the flagpole but considered too young to have an 11-year-old daughter. When Foster rushes to the rescue, her usual price is altering her role…So, Kidman’s original icy Hitchcockian blonde became a grittier political, action-Mom. In 2006, Jodie changed the Brave One heroine from newspaper reporter - "not compelling in terms of the narrative" - to… radio reporter!
- Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chicago, 2002.
- Queen Latifah, Bringing Down The House, 2003. Jason Filardi had written what was then Jailbabe.com for Adam Sandler and Angelina.She and Latifah co-starred in The Bone Collector, 1999.
- Nicole Kidman, Bewitched, 2004. Who wants to play wriggly-nosed Samantha? Me, me, chorused... Jennifer Aniston, Kim Basinger, Cameron Diaz, Heather Graham (she would have been quirkily great), Lisa Kudrow (perfect!), Tatum O’Neal, Gwyneth Paltrow, Michelle Pfeiffer, Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, Alicia Silverstone, Hilary Swank, Naomi Watts. Among 35 possibles. Over the years.
- Eva Green, Casino Royale, 2006.
- Asia Argento, Marie Antoinette, 2005. La Jolie spurned Sofia Coppola’s Madame Du Barry to be Matt Damon’s wife in Robert De Niro’s pet directing project: The Good Shepherd. Italian horrorsmith Dario Argento’s daughter wasthe fourth such directorial kin in the line-up. Francis Coppola’s Sofia also directed John Boorman’s Katrine and John Huston’s Danny.
- Scarlett Johansson, Iron Man 2, 2009. Not really interested. Anyway, Scarlett proved her commitment to becoming Natalie Rushman aka Natalie Romanoff aka Black Widow - by dying her blonde tresses…scarlett. Those who did not included Jessica Alba, Gemma Arterton, Jessica Biel, Emily Blunt, Eliza Dushku and Natalie Portman.
- Cate Blanchett, Robin Hood, 2009. Sienna Miller was set as the maid, er widow Marion (sic). La Jolie had been among several Sherwood candidates: Emily Blunt, Zooey Deschanel Saoirse Ronan.Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman and. Saoirse Ronan. Then, Sienna dropped out and a whole new search began...
- Taylor Schilling, Atlas Shrugged: Part 1, 2010.
- Carla Gugino, Sucker Punch, 2010. Up for the shrink and/or choreographer (it’s that kinda movie) in auteur Zack Synder’s “swords-and-corsets fantasy” (Washington Post) following Emily Browning’s Baby Doll in three differing worlds , er, levels of consciousness. Yeah, that kinda movie.
- Charlize Theron, Prometheus, 2011. Among the season’s usual testees chasing Ridley Scott’s (is it?/it isn’t/ oh yes, it is) Alien prequel - Angie and Michelle Yeoh were short listed for the icy Meredith Vickers.
- Charlize Theron, Snow White and the Huntsman, 2011. When Jolie rejected the first of two revisionist Ms Whites that year,Theronquit Clint Eastwood’s J Edgar to grab the evil Queen Ravenna. And still found time for Ridley Scott’s Prometheus oppodsite Michel Fassbender, once short-listed for the Hunstman.
- Jennifer Lawrence, The Silver Linings Playbook, 2012. Jolie and Mark Wahlberg, in LA talk, were orbiting the property.She changed her orbit; he quit, too. Then, director David O Russell decided to test Lawrence while she was filming The Hunger Games in North Carolina. “There were other big name actresses that were really very good and Harvey [Weinstein] and I thought she was too young. She Skyped from her parents’ house. And, it just seemed like there was no discussion to be had. There was just something about her that was… unparalleled. Oneof those stop-the- presses kinda things.” And she won the best actress Oscar.
- Jennifer Lawrence, Serena, 2012. Plan A was Darren Aronofsky directing Mrs Pitt. Plan B became Danish Susanne Bier helming Lawrence - who rapidly suggested Bradley Cooper as co-star after making The Silver Linings Playbook with him. The film was and then shelved until 2015. Hollywood Reporter critic Stephen Dalton said it had one flaw: “difficult to believe a single word of it, still less to care about these relentlessly selfish and short-sighted characters.”
- Sandra Bullock, Gravity, 2012. Once Jolie passed (twice), they all wanted the 3D sf special written by Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron and his son, Jonas –Abbie Cornish, Marion Cotillard, Rebecca Hall, Salma Hayek, Scarl;ette Johansson, Blake Lively, Sienna Miller, Casey Mulligan, Natalie Portman, Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz, Olivia Wilde... Because the female astronaut is alone on-screen for most of the movie. (Sorry about that, George Clooney).
- Cameron Diaz, The Counselor, 2012. Mrs Pitt spurned Ridley Scott’s Cormac McCarthy’s script. Mr Pitt did not, staying aboard with Mr and Mrs Javier Bardem (Penelope Cruz) and Michael Fassbender. (Diaz’s accumulated 2011 salaries totalled $34m).
- Eva Green, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, 2013. Ava Lord in Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez’ Sin City sequel was written for Jolie with 14 back-ups: Green, Amy Adams, Elizabeth Banks, Kate Beckinsale, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Salma Hayek, Elizabeth Hurley, Scarlett Johansson, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose McGowan, Sofia Vergara, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lucy, 2013. Paris auteur Luc Beson’s first choice, was the jolie Jolie. When she had to quit, Scarlett took over.
- Eva Green, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, 2014. Jolie, Helena Bonham Carter, Anne Hathaway, Salma Hayek, Scarlett Johansson, Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Lawrence, Rose McGowan, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams were all up for the dame in question. Ava.
- Gal Gadot, Wonder Woman, 2015. On Warner shelves for a full decade (not helped by David Kelley’s disastrous 2011 TVersion), spinning through several wonder women directors, the demi-goddess daughter of Zeus, eventually became the Israeli Gadot. “Very different,” she said, “from the experienced, super-confident, grown-up woman” that she introduced in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, 2015. Rivals for the DC Extended Universe included Jolie in 2001 - ten years later she was asked to direct. Plus Mischa Barton, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Rachel Bilson, Sandra Bullock in 2001 (and for the 2011 tele-film), Bollywood’s Priyanka Chopra in 2006, US wrestling star Chyna, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Eva Green, Mad Men’s busty Christina Hendricks (Nicolas Winding Refn’s choice, 2011), Cobie Smulders (WW’s voice in The Lego Movie, 2013), Kristen Stewart. The final trio, auditioning in November 2013, were Olga Kurylenko, Elodie Yung and… Gadot.