Madonna (Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone)
- Beverly D’Angelo, Hair, 1978. Nearly, Madonna and Bruce Springsteen… !!! But Madonna was out-)aced by D’Angelo as the perfect Sheila Franklin in Czech-born Milos Forman’s take on the Broadway hippy hit. (George Lucas had been asked to direct, but was rather busy. With American Graffiti).. Next time there was a major musical on offer, Madonna nailed it. Evita, 1996.
- Cindy Canuelas, Fame, 1980.Five years before her debutin the soft-core sexploitationerA Certain Sacrifice, the distant kin of Celine Dion, Gwen Stefani and Mark Wahlberg tested - and again in 1982 for the TV series. This was Cindy’s one and only film. Madonna lastedlonger. And in 1996, Fame director Alan Parker finally gave her a part.Evita.
- Linda Hamilton, The Terminator, 1983. In all, 52 actresses were considered, seen, or tested for Sarah Connor.James Cameron created her for Bridget Fonda. She passed; so did Tatum O’Neal. Hedecided to go older…Glenn Close won - her schedule didn’t agree. OK,Kate Capshaw! No,she was tied toIndiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - just as Kathleen Turner was Romancing The Stone. Debra Winger won her audition, said yes… then no.The other46 ladies were: Madonna, Rosanna Arquette, Kim Basinger, Christy Brinkley, Colleen Camp, Jamie Lee Curtis, Geena Davis, Mia Farrow, Carrie Fisher, Jodie Foster, Teri Garr, Jennifer Grey, Melanie Griffith, Darryl Hannah, Goldie Hawn, Barbara Hershey,Angelica Huston, Amy Irving,Diane Keaton, Margot Kidder, Diane Lane, Jessica Lange, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kay Lenz,Heather Locklear, Lori Loughlin, Kelly McGillis, Kristy McNichol, Liza Minnelli, Mary TylerMoore, Rhea Perlman (!), Michelle Pfeiffer, Gilda Radner (!), Deborah Raffin, Miranda Richardson, Meg Ryan, Susan Sarandon, Jane Seymour, Ally Sheedy, Cybill Shepherd, Brooke Shields, Sissy Spacek, Sharon Stone, Sigourney Weaver. Most were incontention againa few years later for Fatal Attraction (won by Close) and The Accused (going to Foster and McGillis).Ten years later (after T2), Linda gave birth to Cameron’s daughter and Josephine’s parents wed in 1997… for two years.
- Lori Singer, Footloose, 1984.Madonna and Tom Cruise, Part One... Director Herbert Ross nearly landed them. Impossible a few years laterat $15m each. And then some.
- Kim Greist, Brazil, 1985. Considered by director Terry Gilliam, before Susan Seidelman had her Desperately Seeking Susan. "You gotta start somewhere."
- Chloe Webb, Sid & Nancy, 1986.Madonna and Rupert Everett was an absurd plan for Love Kills before Alex Cox made it correctly... and then disappeared.
- Bette Midler, Ruthless People, 1986. "She was discussed," confirmed David Abrahams, one-third of the ZAZ team."But the only actress who could've played Barbara was Bette. A natural."
- Ellen Greene, Little Shop of Horrors, 1986. The suits had the temerity to talk to Madonna and Cyndi Lauper when the original 1982 off-off-Broadway (and London) Audrey was alive and well and just too brilliant to ignore. So director Frank Oz signed her up.
- Kim Basinger, Blind Date, 1987.Sure, if you drop Joan Micklin Silver for Richard Benjamin. He was busy and the Material Girl did not approve five other directors.Proving the measure of their movie lore, Mr and Mrs Sean Penn made the abysmal Shanghai Surprise, instead.She agreed with Warren Beatty (who made Ishtar!) that she made a lot of stupid choices - "out of impatience."
- Rebecca De Mornay, God Created Woman, 1987.Warners was interested in Roger Vadim re-making Vadim - ifhe could deliver Madonna.He couldn't.At the time, M saw herself as the new MM, not BB.
- Ellen Barkin, Siesta, 1987. "Too much nudity and sexual content".Pardon me? Madonna actually said: too much sex and nudity.Madonna? Really? Really! Two years after her soft-core debut, A Certain Sacrifice, and six years before her sex-book, Sex, and sex-film,Body of Evidence...
- Glenn Close, Fatal Attraction, 1987.
- Kelly McGillis, The Accused, 1988. Paramount suits saw 40 young actresses for the (real life) gang rape victim.Or,their own rape bait fantasies… such as 16-year-old Alyssa Milano!And a further 28 for her defence attorney. Including the Fatal Attraction also-rans (from Madonna to Debra Winger, by way of Diane Keaton and, naturally, Meryl Streep). Plus Blythe Danner, Sally Field, Terri Garr,Mary Gross, Dianne Wiest. A 1982 rape victim herself, McGillis refused Jodie Foster’s Oscar-winning role but asked to play her lawyer.
- Lorraine Bracco, Goodfellas, 1989. Madonna and Tom Cruise, Part Two... Took 20 years for producer Irwin Winkler to reveal thatWarner Bros was desperate to have Madonna playing the wife of a Henry Hill acted by Tom Cruise. Director Martin Scorsees approved the Material Girl but not Cruise - Marty preferred, and got, Ray Liotta.
- Michelle Pfeiffer, The Fabulous Baker Boys, 1989. "Too mushy!" Then again, the role required a singer.Could anyone make Whoopee better than Michelle?
- Julia Roberts, Pretty Woman, 1989.
- Elizabeth Pena, Jacob's Ladder, 1990 ."When she walks into a room, she's larger than life. She takes over the room" - the film’s UK director Adrian Lyne on Madge.
- Nicole Kidman, Days of Thunder, 1989. When Robin Wright proved unavailable for Dr Claire Lewicki,a dozen actresses were seen, from Madonna to MichellePfeiffer. Having seen Dead Calm, Tom Cruise voted for Kidman - and then he wed her: 1990-2001.
- Pamela Gidley, Liebestraum, 1990. UK director Mike Figgis spent six years setting up his "unwitting incest" drama, switching the locale from North England to Hollywood to entice M. Ultimately, he shot it in a small US town for $8.5m- Madonna's salary!
- Andie McDowall, Hudson Hawk, 1990. "Iraqui troops have invaded Kuwait," wrote Richard E Grant in his diary for August 8, 1989. "My lawn-mower has conked out. Marushka Dettmers [sic] is being 'replaced'... Desperately Seeking Madonna was to ask [sic] if she would take over. Impossible as she is mid-tour."
- Ingrid Chavez, Graffiti Bridge, 1990. Petit rocker Prince was trying(too) hard to channel Orson Welles as an auteur and asked Madge to be his Aura. She told him straightout: "The screenplay's awful! " Like she would know...
- Geena Davis, Thelma & Louise, 1990.
- Cathy Moriarty, Soapdish, 1991. Impossible for M to have matched Moriarty's Mary Woronovesque work as the soapster trying to take over the show.
- Sherilyn Fenn, Ruby, 1991. After Dick Tracy's Breathless Mahoney, everyone saw her for the composite of Jack Ruby's Dallas strippers. "Madonna comes with money and everything else," agreed UK director John Mackenzie, "but you're taking a big chance on throwing away the character.I'd never have got what I wanted out of the subtext. After seeing Sherilyn, I wouldn't have considered anybody else."
- Sofia Coppola, The Godfather: Part III, 1991.
- Bridget Fonda, The Godfather: Part III, 1991.
- Michelle Pfeiffer, Batman Returns, 1991.
- Sharon Stone, Basic Instinct, 1991.
- Witney Houston, The Bodyguard, 1992. When Kevin Costner first got his hands on the old Steve McQueen project,he thought ita "neat"idea for the pop diva.
- Sherilyn Fenn, Three of Hearts, 1992.Once upon a time, Madge completed the three-wayof Robert Downey Jr and Demi Moore- or Elizabeth McGovern.
- Annabella Sciorra, Romeo Îs Bleeding, 1992. Robert De Niro's company offered her a hit person.
- Uma Thurman, Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, 1992.She was so right.A majorflop from Gus Van Sant.
- Kim Basinger, Boxing Helena, 1992.
- Geena Davis, Angie, 1993. M wouldn't promiseto delay the release of the company’s debut,New York director Abel Ferrara's sexually aggressive Dangerous Game,until after the softer Angie opened.That wasexcuse enough for producer Joe Roth to go with Geena. Madonna wrote him: "How foolish of me to think I had the ability to play a vulnerable character, I should just stay in the gutter where I belong, working with lowlifes like Abel Ferrara and being hated by the general public." Then, one of heremails was leaked - furious with the head Fox, Joe Roth, for dumping her for a non-Italian inthe titular role.In truth, she fled after hearing Roth didn’t want her becauseshe couldn’t carry a movie. (Not that this one did any better without her). Her director, Jonathan Kaplan, also quit and Martha Coolidge took over with her 1991 Rambling Rose star - after some thoughts about a dozen others, fromHalle Berryto Meryl Streep.Oh, very Italian!
- Marisa Tomei, Untamed Heart, 1993. "Madonna actively campaigned for it, then said Billy [Baldwin] wasn't right," said stuntman Tom Sierchio.Her exit helped the budget slip from $15m to $12m and with Milos Forman's Hell Camp suddenlycancelled, Marisa, My Cousin Vinny's Oscared girl, was free to be the waitress
- 3Bridget Fonda, Point Of No Return,1993.What Hollywood never understood when attempting to seduce French auteur Luc Besson into re-making his own movie was that Nikita had been created and crafted for his then wife, Anne Parillaud. And no one else.It was, therefore, impossible for him to envisage a different woman in the role.NotMadonna.Nor Sharon Stone.Nor Marge Simpson.
- Tia Carrere, Wayne's World 2, 1993.Mike Myers got jealous when Kim Basinger offered to be the girl of Dana Carvey’s Garthin the bigger-budget sequel, and he tried to land M or Demi Moroe as hisgirl.
- Gina Gershon, Showgirls, 1995. "Oh yes, she really wanted to play her," said Gina. "But I ended up doing it." Dutch director Paul Verhoeven had one star only in mind for the veteran bisexual Vegas vamp but Madge had already given her all (more muscular than erotic) in her Sex book.
- Sharon Stone, Casino, 1995. Robert De Nro was also talking about Tracie Lords for Ginger while Sharon worked hard on his director, Martin Scorsese. It was her first/last chance for an Oscar nod (which she got) before playing terminally ill grannies
- Emily Watson, Breaking The Waves, Denmark, 1996.What a terrible notion!Yet Danish wunderkind Lars von Trier claims he wrote it for her - as if she was actress enough to play a virgin.He sent her the script and never heard a word.But then, she wasn't Ingrid Bergman and he certainly wasn't Roberto Rossellini… Yet with the agonizing dross that followed, this was Von Trier’s finest film.
- Rosie Perez, Perdita Durango, Mexico-USA-Spain, 1996. Handed the Bigas Luna project to Victoria Abril. Then, a new director arrived.
- Janet Gunn, The Quest, 1996. She knew it was a bad'un - Roger Moore was in it!By now, Madge was recognising lousy scripts... and in this instance, lousy directors, ie The Muscle From Brussels, himself,Jean-Claude Van Damme.The zero role went from the Material Girl to... an ex-stewardess, Dallas Cowboys cheerleader and SusanHoward’s stunt double inDallas.
- Kate Winslet, Titanic, 1996.
- Meryl Streep, Music of the Heart, 1999.Quit after "creative differences" withthe usually horror film director Wes Craven. Would she have toiled as valiantly asStreep - practisingthe violin, six hours a day for eight weeks?
- Melanie Griffith, RKO 281, TV, 1999. Due to reincarnate Marion Davies in Ridley Scott's all star spectacular about the making of Citizen Kane before budgetry cuts curbed it a fine HBO special.
- Annabella Sciorra, Once in the Life, 2000.For his second film as a director, Laurence Fisburnefilmed his own play - and wanted Madonna as Maxine, the wife of Eammon Walker’s Tony The Tiger. Fishburne saved the best role for himself: 20/20 Mike, an ex-con who misses nothing because, he says, he has eyes in the back of his head.
- Tina Sloan, The Guru, 2001.During the early stages of the Bollywood-meets-Hollywood rom-com, scripter Tracey Jackson wanted Kitty to be Madonna or Martha Stewart - as themselves. They refused. Well, it was then titled The Guru of Sex.
- Charlize Theron, Kingdom Come, 2000. UK director Michael Winterbottom's Western with Peter Mullan selling wife and daughter for a gold claim.
- Deborah Harry, Spun, 2002. First choice for The Neighbour - Madge. Second: ex-porn star Ginger Lynn Allen. Bit of a switch from second choice being Martha Stewart!
- Renée Zellweger, Chicago, 2002.
- Salma Hayek, Frida, 2002. She planned to star in and produce a biopic – even talked of Brando or De Niro as the artist’s lover, Diego Rivera. Mexicans, however, were not keen on any non-Mexican in the role - the reason Jennifer Lopez, Laura San Giacomo split, allowing Salma to get on with her labour of love.
- Tina Slogan, The Guru, 2002. Hollywood Meets Bollywood and Heather Graham steals all when they met her in another visit to pornoville. Director Daisy von Scherler wanted Madonna or Martha Stewart to play themselves. They didn’t. The part was re-named Kitty and enter Sloan, as well known as a New York marathon runner as she was for the soaps, Another World in 1981 and as Lillian Raines in Guiding Light, 1983-2009.
- Joan Cusack, Chicken Little, 2004. To find the right voice for Abby Mallard in Disney’s paltry poultry pic, Disney went through Jamie Lee Curtis, Madonna, Geeena Davis, Laura Dern, Jamie Donnelly, Jodie Foster, Holly Hunter, and, of course, Sigourney Weaver. (By now many Alien fans were working at every studio). Plus Sarah Jessica Parker, when her husband, Matthew Broderick, was in the frame for the titular hero.
- Jada Pinkett Smith, Madagascar, 2005. That’s a no to voicing Gloria the Hippo – like Jennifer Lopez and Gwen Stefani. But yes to voicing Princess Selenia in Luc Besson’s Arthur et les Minimoys/Arthur and the Invisibles, France, 2006. She owed him. The tubby French tycoon had bankrolled Revolver, 2005 - her director-husband Guy RitcThie's last disaster. (And I choose my words specifically). Smith’s husband, Will, had starred as Oscar in DreamWorks’s previous toon, Shark Tale, 2003.
- Michelle Pfeiiffer, Hairspray, 2007. Madonna won their Evita battle in 1996. Now it was Michelle’s turn.
- Adrianne Palicki. Wonder Woman, TV, 2011. The DC comicbook heroine had not been seen on screens since Lynda Carter ended her four year reign onABC in 1979.Timethen, said Warner, for a new movie.DC’s testosterone duo, Batman and Superman, had cleaned up,now it up to the beautiful superhuman Amazon warrior Princess Diana of Themysacira, her Lasso of Truth, her indestructible bracelets and (honest) her invisible plane.With who…? Across a decade of plans by producers as diverse as Joel Silver (so wrong) and Joss Whedon (so right), 24 beauties were in the frame: from Madonnain 2000 to Whedon’s favourite, Cobie Smulders. Then, the film morphedinto an updated TV series by David E Kelley - that, too, was dead after the rushed pilot. Palicki was the sole actress considered for TV - she was previously seen by George Miller for WW in his aborted Justice League, in 2008.