- Samantha Mathis, BrokenArrow, 1996. For his second Hollywood actioner, Hong-King director John Woo thought of the Friends star as the park ranger. Plus Halle Berry, Lauren Holly, Helen Hunt – she preferred Twister. Presumably they all agreed with Roger Ebert’s comment that The Girls’s sole purpose was to take off her shirt as soon as possible. Slater suggested his similar main squeeze from Pump Up The Volume, 1990.
- Kate Winslet, Titanic, 1996.
- Maria Pitillo, Godzilla, 1998. In the first casting notions in 1997 when the opening date was already set for May 20, 1998.
- Monica Potter, Martha - Meet Frank, Daniel and Laurence, 1998. “There’s an element of romantic comedy,” felt Nick Hamm, “where you have to discover someone new.” Bad news for all the girl-Friends.
- Neve Campbell, The Lion King 2 : Simba’s Pride, 1998. The first triumph was Bambi meets Hamlet in Africa, the sequel turned Kobu and Kiara into Romeo and Juliet. Sarah Jessica Parker was seen about voicing Simba’s headstrong daughter, Kiara.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt, Heartbreakers, 2000. The first plan? Aniston as Page aka Wendy aka Jane opposite Cher as her mother Angela aka Max aka Ulga. Yes they were a scam team, seducing and fleecing old men. Like Gene Hackman.
- Sarah Michelle Gellar, Scooby-Doo, 2001. One hot TV star for another as Daphne in the live-action version of the old tele-toon. Live, not lively… Jennifer Love Hewitt was the brunette notion.
- Charlize Theron,Waking Up In Reno, 2002. Aniston and Brad Pitt were due as the white trash couple until Reno loomed large in their own life.Or they re-read the script -trashier thanthe couples.
- Kirsten Dunst, Spider-Man, 2001.
- Naomi Watts, I Heart Huckabees, 2004. Considered as Dawnwhen Gwyneth Paltrow quit and Nicole Kidman was tied up.
- Nicole Kidman, Bewitched, 2004. Who wants to play wriggly-nosed Samantha? Me, me,chorused... Aniston, Cameron Diaz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Alicia Silverstone.
- Lauren Graham, Evan Almighty, 2006. It was Bruce Almighty 2 when, like Jim Carrey, she ruled against a sequel. His place was taken over by his news-anchor rival, now a USenator: Steve Carell.
- Angelina Jolie, A Mighty Heart, 2006. New wife, new star... Mariane Pearl’s book was part of Aniston and Brad Pitt’s Plan B company until the divorce, when his new lady inevitably took over the key role of the widow of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, slain by Islamic extremists in Pakistan in 2002. La Jolie’s favourtite movie. “Possibly because I loved Marianne, and Brad [Pitt] produced it, and I think it was a well-done film about something that matters.”
- Vera Farmiga, The Departed, 2005. The name is Ukrainian, the talent had the Plan Bs in awe. Plus: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jack Nicholson, Martin Scorsese.
- Rachel McAdams, The Time Traveler’s Wife, 2008. The bittersweet love story’s author, Audrey Niffenegger, saw Adrian Brody and Lauren Ambrose as the couple. Oh, no, it’s us, said Aniston and Brad Pitt on buying the book in galley form for their Plan B combine. They lost Steven Spielberg as director, then each other… Pitt produced with McAdams, wed to Eric Bana who, well, just kept on disappearing… leaving his clothes behind. “It can be a problem,” he admitted.
- Julia Roberts, Valentine’s Day, 2009. Sandra Bullock, Jodie Foster also passed on Captain Kate Hazeltine - in the 21-star-jammed LA take on Love Actually. Julia said: Sure. Of course, she did. The director was the man behind her breakthrough, Pretty Woman, in 1989. “I owe my career to Garry,” she said. “There was no known reason for him to hire me… a nd even he was puzzled by his decision.” Julia was paid $3. this time. Or, about $12,000 per each of her Kate’s 251 words.
- Melissa Rauch, You Are You Here, 2012. Aniston and Bradley Copper became Amy Poehler and Owen Wilson when best buds Wilson and (of course) Zach Galifianakis embarked on a road trip back to their home town because… the MacGuffin was an inheritance.
- Michelle Monaghan, Pixels, 2014. Wiser in her movie choices than her Friends, Aniston passed on Adam Sandler saving the world from dumb aliens thinking that old Pac-Man video-games are declarations of war and,.. No, no, enuff! The Girl, like all gals in Sandler “films”, has VV initials. Violet Van Patten. (Er, isn’t that VVP?)
- Leslie Mann, The Comedian, 2016. Change of partner for Robert De Niro’s toxic, Don Rickles-esque insult comic. Kristen Wiig was booked as Harmony when Sean Penn was to direct. By the time Taylor Hackford took over, Aniston was also gone - putting Mann in the hot seat.